The vision of Covenant University Postgraduate School
The mission of Covenant University School of Postgraduate Studies
To engage in best practices in academic programmes, research and services to produce very high-quality graduates through the use of life-applicable, life-promoting and cutting-edge scientific research as well as information and communication technologies for data acquisition and analysis in knowledge delivery systems. In this way, the School, through the University, hopes to contribute to the achievement of the quality education, which in turn will help in development and poverty reduction, which is Target 8a under Goal No. 8 of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
Objectives of the School
- Develop the spirit of enquiry in the Postgraduate students through training in research in an atmosphere of intellectual independence and individual creativity combined with a strong sense of teamwork.
- Foster, through instruction, a deeper understanding of key concepts and an increasing ability to apply fundamental ideas to new problems in the students. The student in the Postgraduate School must, therefore, be made to realise quite early that intellectual growth and subsequent success are directly related to the depth of command of basic principles and ability to apply those principles. Hence, although postgraduate studies are usually associated with a high degree of specialisation, such specialisation must be achieved in the context of extending mental horizons, producing new orientations, and developing a depth of understanding in the relevant discipline.
- Provide training in research for those whose future careers will lie in teaching and research at university level, and for those who may have to operate in research and development situations in public or private sectors.
- Provide both short and long-term training facilities aimed at improving and upgrading the existing and potential high-level manpower needed for planning, implementing and reviewing national development plans as well as improved productivity and performance in the private sector.
Committee of the School of Postgraduate Studies
The Dean is supported by a thirteen-member Committee in coordinating postgraduate studies at Covenant University. The Committee meets statutorily on the second Monday of every month mainly to deliberate on recommendations sent to it from the University’s four Colleges. The papers accompanying the recommendations are scrutinised and sent back to the relevant Departments, where necessary, for corrections to be effected. The papers are then sent to Senate for approval.
Physical Location of Covenant University Postgraduate School
Covenant University’s School of Postgraduate Studies is located within the ultra-modern Lecture Theatre Complex. Apart from the dedicated classrooms for postgraduate lectures, there are spacious office spaces for the Dean, the Sub-Dean, the Secretary of the School, an Assistant Registrar, four Administrative Officers, a Front Desk Officer and two Cleaners.
Covenant University Postgraduate Programmes
The following are programmes you can apply for in Covenant University school of post graduate studies:
A candidate seeking admission to the Master’s Degree Programme of Covenant University must be a graduate of Covenant University or any other University recognized by the Senate of Covenant University, with a minimum of Second Class (Lower Division). The duration of full-time study for the award of the Master’s degree is 18 months (3 semesters), while for the part-time, the duration is 30 months (5 semesters). Candidates are also to note that there are other requirements that may be specific to a College and/or a Programme.
A candidate with CGPA of 3.5 – 3.9 on a 5.0 point scale (≥ 55%) or equivalent in the Master’s programme may be considered for M.Phil/PhD programme. The minimum duration for the full-time M.Phil/PhD programme is seven (7) semesters or three and one-half (3½) academic years. The minimum duration for the part-time M.Phil/PhD programme is nine (9) semesters or four and one-half (4½) academic years.
A Candidate seeking admission to the direct PhD Degree Programme of Covenant University must have obtained a Master’s of Covenant University or any other University recognized by the Senate of Covenant University, with a CGPA of 4.00 or 60%. Candidates that have obtained a CGPA below 4.0 but had 3.5 and above (or 55%) will be considered for the M.Phil/PhD. The M.Phil/PhD programme is intended to prepare candidates for the PhD since Covenant University does not award The M.Phil degree.
Covenant University Postgraduate School Admission Requirements
There are general and specific requirements for admission into the Postgraduate programmes of Covenant University. This policy contains the requirements and procedure for admission into the different Postgraduate programmes available in the University.
General Admission Requirements
- To be considered for admission into any postgraduate programme of Covenant University, an applicant shall satisfy the general University requirements as well as any special requirements for admission into the programme of interest.
- An applicant shall complete the application form on the University portal and ensure that the information submitted is accurate.
- The applicant shall provide all relevant documents, including certificates of degrees and/or diplomas, academic transcripts, reference letters, etc. as specified on the application form.
- An applicant shall request and ensure that all institutions attended process and forward official academic transcripts (undergraduate and/or postgraduate) to the School of Postgraduate Studies. Transcripts must be received directly from the applicant’s institution.
- Applicants who are Nigerian citizens shall, in addition, provide their National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) discharge, exemption or exclusion certificate.
Master’s Degree Programme
To be considered for admission into M.A., M.Sc., M.Eng. M.B.A. and MPA degree programmes of Covenant University, an applicant must have:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline with at least second class lower division from Covenant University or any other university recognised by the Senate.
- Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) with a minimum CGPA of 3.5 in addition to a Bachelor’s degree (minimum of third class Division) or HND (minimum of Lower Credit) in a relevant discipline may be considered.
- Applicants with relevant professional qualifications such as ACA, ICAN, ACIB, etc. who do not have either B.Sc degree or HND, would need to obtain the relevant PGD before applying for the professional Master’s programme of the University, such as MBA/MPA/MIT, etc.
PhD Degree Programme
To qualify for admission into the PhD degree programme of Covenant University, an applicant shall possess:
- Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees [M.A/M.Sc/M.Eng/M.Tech] in the relevant discipline obtained from Covenant University or any other university recognised by the Senate.
- A minimum CGPA of 4.0 on a 5.0 point scale or equivalent in the Master’s programme to qualify for a direct entry into the PhD degree programme.
- Applicants with CGPA of 3.50 – 3.99 on a 5.0 point scale or equivalent in the Master’s programme may be considered for M.Phil/PhD programme.
- Applicants with professional Master’s Degrees shall not be eligible for PhD programmes except they obtained M.Sc degrees in the relevant fields.
Recommended: Covenant University postgraduate form and courses
Postgraduate Internship Programme at Industry and Organizations
Covenant University’s Postgraduate internship programme aims to achieve the University’s mission of raising a new generation of leaders by exposing graduate students to life in the society, industry and organisation. To achieve this objective, graduate students of the University had been placed at different organisations for the period of six weeks. It is also required that all interns be directly monitored and supervised by the appropriate officer at the place of placement.
Senior Faculty from the University conducts periodic checks on the interns. In addition, an Internship Evaluation Form (Confidential) is given to the Industry Supervisor to complete and return to the Dean, School of Postgraduate Studies at the end of the Internship.
The Terms of Reference for the Internship Programme can be stated as follows:
- To create avenues for linkages and collaboration with industry, intergovernmental organisations, parastatals etc. for possible staff exchange/internship and professional exposure for CU Faculty.
- To facilitate placement opportunities with the external context.
- To coordinate, monitor and report to Management through the Dean, School of Postgraduate Studies (SPS), the activities of the interns as is made available by the University Supervisors of the Interns.
- To assess interns performance and compliance with professional ethics & academic inquiries/examination along with the lines of Covenant University Core-Values, Vision, Mandate and the postgraduate internship requirements and build in such records into the grading system of the Postgraduate Programme of Covenant University.
- To recommend the financial cost of the scheme to Management through the Dean, SPS.
- To facilitate the monitoring and evaluation of the interns.
On their return to Covenant University, each of the interns submits a report, detailing his/her activities during the period of Internship. The Internship Committee also submits a report to the Dean. The following is an example of such a report.
Covenant University’s Postgraduate internship programme aims to achieve the University’s mission of raising a new generation of leaders by exposing graduate students to life in the society, industry and organisation. The Internship programme was organized for students studying for Master’s degrees at Covenant University. The purpose was mainly to get the students gain practical experience in their various fields. The programme would also prepare them for the choice of their possible research topics for their current Masters and future PhD theses. To achieve these objectives, graduate students of the University were placed at different organisations for the period of six weeks between July and October 2008. Twenty-eight (28) Graduate Assistants participated in the programme. They were drawn from nine (9) Departments across the University:
- Business Studies
- Computer and Information Science
- Economics and Development Studies
- Human Resources Development
- International Relations
- Mass Communication
- Political Science
Based on stipulated guidelines approved by the University, the interns are expected to produce an internship report after the completion of the programme.
Covenant University International Excellence Scholarship
must have completed a first degree with a minimum of Second Class (Upper Division), and Demonstrated (Speaking, Reading and Writing) Proficiency in English Language. Kindly Note the scholarship value below, being waiver of Tuition fee only:
a.) First Class: 100% tuition waiver.
b.) Second Class Upper (≥ 4.0): 75% tuition waiver.
c.) Second Class Upper (< 4.0): 50% tuition waiver.
Please see the following guidelines for your attention.
PROCEDURE Guidelines for implementation of the Covenant University International Excellence Scholarship.
Based on the successful admission into a Masters programme of the Covenant University School of Postgraduate Studies and Selection by a constituted committee, eligible candidates shall automatically access the scholarship on merit. Six to eight weeks after application submission, Covenant University shall contact eligible candidates to submit a personal statement of purpose of not more than 1,500 words, details;
- Why they have selected the programme at Covenant University,
- Why they merit the funding (ie Academic/personal achievement),
- How they will benefit from the scholarship (ie. Employment prospects, financial relief etc).
The constituted selection committee shall evaluate each candidate’s final eligibility based on the submitted statement of purpose.
Did you find what you are looking for? Let OgunObservers know how you feel by using the comment box below. Don’t fail to share this with your friends on Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp. Thanks for reading…